Contact Us


(03) 5367 2111


0419 224 440

Online Enquiry

* Required fields




1) Do you offer any discounts if we use your services for multiple inspections?



We most certainly do! Please contact our office for a quote tailored to your requirements, or alternatively, please use our contact us form.



2) What is the most important stage?



Darbecca recommends that all stages of inspection are conducted from the start to finish of your build to ensure peace of mind. However, we can inform you of the most common inspections that are conducted for your particular build when we send through a tailored quote to you.



3) What documents do you require to conduct my inspections?



Depending on which stages of inspection you require, we require the soil report, engineering and stamped and approved building plans to conduct your independent inspections. All of these documents can be obtained directly from your builder.



4) Can the builder deny access to the property to conduct inspections?



Provided that you hold a Domestic Building Contract with your builder, the builder cannot deny you access to your property to have an independent inspection conducted.


Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995

Act No. 91/1995

Part 2—Provisions that Apply to all Domestic Building Contracts


  1. Access to building site (1) A builder must permit the building owner (or a person authorised by the building owner) to have reasonable access to the building site and to view any part of the building works.

Penalty: 20 penalty units.



5) What is the difference between a HIA and Master Builder’s contract?



The Housing Industry Australia and Master Builder’s Australia are two major industry associations that builders may choose to affiliate themselves with. Each of these associations have a standard contract that they provide to builders to use for domestic building projects. Each of these contracts have similar features, however differ in their content. The terms contained within these contracts are also able to be changed by their users, making every contract unique. Darbecca Pty Ltd are able to assist you with a Contract Review service with a solicitor prior to signing your domestic building contract if required.



6) I’m not happy with the works to date and I have received an invoice from my builder. Am I required to pay this invoice?



As Darbecca Pty Ltd are not legal practitioners, we are unable to offer any advice in relation to progress payments. Please seek advice from your chosen legal advisor.



7) What happens if the builder doesn’t rectify the defects that Darbecca have identified?



If the defects are non-compliant under the Building Act, Building Regulations, National Construction Code, the relevant Australian Standards, Guidelines and Tolerances then we recommend that you contact your builder to discuss your concerns. You will be able to request to have your concerns escalated to the construction manager.

If you are unhappy with the response from your builder and need more information on actions you can take, we would recommend that you speak with Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria. They can be contacted on 1300 557 559 or via their website at



8) I have been sent photos of rectifications from my builder in response to your report. Can you please comment on these photographs?



Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on photographs that have not be taken by one of our consultants.

We can however arrange a time for one of our consultants to come out to your property and conduct a reinspection to check that all items of concern have been rectified from our previous report.



9) Can I have the same consultant throughout my build process?



Darbecca Pty Ltd endeavour to assist our clients with the same consultant throughout the build, however in order to offer you the inspection at the appropriate time, it may be necessary at times to assist with an alternative consultant.

All efforts are made to accommodate customer requests for particular consultants where possible but we are unable to guarantee consultant availability at the time of booking your inspection.

At Darbecca all of our consultants work to the same high standards stipulated by our director Darren Love and we are confident that you will be satisfied with any of our expert consultants.



10) Are there any items that you don’t check throughout varying stages of the build?



Our engagement is confined to that of a building consultant and not that of a building surveyor as defined in the Building Act of 1993. We therefore do not check the structural integrity of the building, title boundaries, location of any easement, boundary setbacks, room dimensions, height limitations and/or datums, glazing, alpine and bush fire code compliance, or any other requirements that is the responsibility of the relevant building surveyor, unless specifically requested and agreed upon in writing.

Due to OHS restrictions, our consultants are unable to climb on top of any roof or crawl through any confined spaces.



11) Who can I speak to if I am experiencing difficulties with my builder?



We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing such difficulties. We recommend that you contact DBDRV who will be able to assist you. Domestic Building Dispute Resolution Victoria (DBDRV) is an independent government agency that provides services to help resolve domestic (residential) building disputes. They can be contacted on 1300 557 559 or via their website, at



12) Are you a registered building inspector? What qualifications do you hold?



Although some Darbecca consultants have the experience and qualifications to be registered, legislation states that there can only be one Building Surveyor allocated to each building site. This means that the builder can refuse site access if we operate as a building surveyor, as opposed to an independent building consultant.


Our consultants come from various backgrounds within the industry and all bring unique skills and a wealth of experience to the team. Our director regularly conducts training with all of our consultants to keep up with industry changes and ensure that our team always works to the highest of standards.

Please feel free to give our office a call on 03 5367 2111 to discuss our consultants experience and qualifications in more detail. 



13) My builder said that your report is opinion based. Is this true?



No. As your independent building consultants, we provide a report on all defective items identified with references to the relevant regulations and codes alongside photographic evidence.



14) How soon after my inspection will I receive my report?



After our consultant conducts your inspection they will prepare their report the very same day! You will receive your report emailed directly to you by our consultant.



15) What is your scope of practice?



Darbecca Pty Ltd specialise in the inspection of new homes, as well as those within the 10 year warranty period.

We can assist you at all stages of your build, including:

  • Contract Reviews
  • Pre Pour
  • Slab (we complete this inspection for free with the frame inspection)
  • Frame,
  • Pre Plaster (commonly referred to as “lockup)
  • Fixing
  • Waterproofing
  • Final (commonly referred to as PCI or New Home Presentation)
  • Off the Plan
  • Post-Handover/Maintenance
  • VCAT reports


If you require assistance with any other building requirement not listed here, please feel free to contact our office to see if we can assist you.



16) Can I nominate Darbecca as my Relevant Building Surveyor?



Darbecca are independent building consultants and are under no legal requirement to be registered. Some of our consultants hold the relevant qualifications and are eligible for registration as building surveyors, however due to legislation there can only be one building surveyor allocated to each building site. This means that the builder can refuse access to a site if we operate as a building surveyor as opposed to an independent building consultant.

Therefore at this stage, we are unable to be engaged as the Relevant Building Surveyor, however we can conduct your independent building inspections on your behalf.



17) My builder uses the term “lockup” and Darbecca refer to “pre plaster”. What’s the difference?



The terminology ‘lock up’ is an industry expression to describe a stage claim and does not necessarily mean the home is securely ‘locked up’. Darbecca prefer not to use the term ‘lock up’ as this term can be defined differently by each builder. We prefer to state the term pre-plaster, as this reinforces the fact that we need to inspect the property prior to plaster installation. In some cases, the plaster will be installed prior to brickwork, which can also make the term lockup confusing!



18) What is an alternate solution? Is my builder able to use this for my home?



It is not uncommon for a builder to use an alternate solution during the build.

An alternate building solution is another way of building that is not outlined in the relevant code or standards. It usually means that it is outside of traditional methods currently in use.

An alternative building solution is acceptable as long as it meets all the performance requirements as outlined in the national construction code and any other relevant standards, and approval has been granted by the relevant building surveyor as part of the building permit.



19) Why do I need the final invoice and notice of completion to do my final inspection? (HIA contract only)



Once your builder issues you with a notice of completion they are saying that the work has been carried out under the contract and has been completed in accordance with the plans and specifications set out in your contract.

We then conduct our inspection based on this and inspect your home as a finished product as per your contract.



20) Can I attend the inspections with the consultants?



You are more than welcome to attend any inspection conducted by Darbecca Pty Ltd, however for the Pre Pour inspection, you will not be able to access the slab preparations due to health and safety requirements.



21) My question isn’t answered here. Who can I speak with?



If you would like to discuss your build with one of our staff, please give our office team a call on 03 5367 2111 during our operating hours (Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm) or send an email to at any time and we’ll happily provide you with the information you need.